2.15.2006

Earphones

For some reason, I can't stop thinking about the boy walking down the Spui yesterday. He had his arm around his girl, his head tilted her way. I was thinking "aw, cute" about yet another couple on Valentine's Day until I realized he was wearing earphones. And no, they weren't sharing them or anything adorable like that.

He was just another guy tuning out another girl. And when did that become socially acceptable?

I mean, if she were his sister, that would be one thing. But the body language would just be WRONG if this gal were his sister. Or if she were his nanny, his teacher, or anyone whose job could be classified as a 'nagger,' that would be another thing.

But not his girlfriend. Not his best friend.

Now, I realize that this boy's life is not my business. But the tilting patterns in our social world are messing with my sense of reality and I cannot help but dwell on this, on the days when doors aren't opened for the female of the species. Not to sterotype the entire male sex--there ARE good ones out there, for which I am thankful--but I pray this tendency of both genders to be careless with one another will reverse soon itself. It is only a matter of respect.

No comments: